In this article, we will look at what networking is, why it is important, and the different ways you can network with others.
Why is networking important?
You can be the best developer in the world but if nobody knows about you or your skills, then your chances of being hired — especially with a remote company — are greatly reduced. The internet has given us endless opportunities to network and connect with other people around the world. Networking allows you to put yourself and your work out there: to showcase your projects, and experiences, and connect with like-minded people in the industry. Many opportunities come through connections, so it is a good idea to start building your network today.
The first part of this lesson explains what networking is and what it is not.
Think about these questions as you learn about defining networking.
- Does reaching out to people I don’t know mean I am desperate?
- Does networking have to feel fake?
Defining networking: What networking is and what it is not
What networking is not
- Networking is not spamming your potential connections with numerous referral requests, interview requests, or requests to review your projects and portfolios.
- Networking is not about being fake in your interactions: For example, lying or pretending to be interested in what someone does just so you can ask them later, “Do you have a job for me?” People can sense a fake attitude from miles away so you want to steer clear of that.
- Networking is not being desperate: Reaching out to people you don’t know is not a sign of desperation. On the contrary, it is a sign of determination; a sign that you are willing to keep pushing doors towards your goal.
What is networking?
Networking is about building relationships. True, genuine relationships. Think of it as being similar to making friends in real life. The key to efficient networking is to network with people a) you’re actually interested in connecting with, and b) who have the potential to make an impact on your job search and your tech career.
Different ways to network
This second part of the lesson focuses on the different networks you can join and how to use them to reach out to other developers and hiring managers, build your network and increase your chances of getting job opportunities.
Think about these questions as you learn about different ways to network.
- Is it possible to find job opportunities through networking?
- Do recruiters also find candidates through networking events?
Learn more about the different ways to network:
[…] Attending technical events increases your visibility to people in the industry, and gives you a space where you can learn from them, communicate with them, and grow your network. Growing your network is very important for your career as a developer as many opportunities come through our connections and networks. You can read more about this in the lesson “What is networking and why is it important?“. […]
Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you
amend your site, how could i subscribe for a weblog
web site? The account aided me a appropriate deal.
I have been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided
shiny clear concept